Vital Dollar may receive compensation from companies, products, and services covered on our site. For more details, please read about how we make money.
If you’re considering creating a side gig with transcription work, you need to check that you pick a legit platform. Here we’ll delve into Way With Words to help you get the low down on this platform and make an informed decision.
A Brief Overview of Way with Words
WwW (Way With Words) is a transcription company based in the UK. It has been operating for almost 20 years and has its headquarters in London, England. The company also has offices in the UK, Australia, Canada, South Africa, and New York, USA.
The company has a focus on converting video and audio files into text format, but they also offer proofreading and captioning work.
How WwW Works
Like most transcription platforms, you’ll work for WwW as an independent contractor. This means that while you will be paid for your work, you won’t receive an employee benefits package such as 401k matching, health insurance, etc.
However, you’ll be able to work as little or as much as you like. You can choose your own working hours, and WwW does not require transcriptionists to agree to a minimum number of hours each month. This means that you can use WwW as a side gig or to fill in gaps in your schedule.
Once you’re signed up, you’ll have access to available audio or video work. You can then work on each project before submitting it for approval.
This all-inclusive online educational system is simply the best way to learn how to earn money as a transcriptionist. It includes 7 levels of practice dictations, shows you where to find the best work as an employee or contractor, & more.
- Screencast tutorial videos on software, time coding, & more
- How to find higher-paying work
- How to build and market your business
- How to set up a transcriptionist website
- Lifetime access to all course material and future updates
- Lifetime access to our student support forum on Facebook
The Job Requirements
Unlike a lot of transcription companies, WwW does not have strict requirements for its independent contractors. You don’t even need to have transcription experience. However, to get accepted, you’ll need to:
- Be of legal age (18 in most places)
- Pass their accuracy tests
- Have access to Microsoft Word and some form of audio/video software
- A reliable computer with a fast internet connection.
The company does provide recommendations for software and hardware, but these are completely optional.
If you want to increase your transcription speeds, you may wish to invest in a pedal. This is not necessary for newbies, but as you work, you’ll find that being able to pause, rewind, and replay audio without needing to take your hands off the keys can be extremely helpful. Please see our article on transcription equipment for more details on the items that will help you in your work.
How Much Can You Earn?
The transcription rates on WwW vary between $0.45 and $1.73 per audio minute. Your rate will depend on your experience rather than seniority. The higher-paying projects require a quicker turnaround time, yet can take longer to transcribe. So, you’ll need to be quick and accurate with a fast turnaround to score the higher-paying work.
Bear in mind that these rates are per audio minute. According to WwW, experienced transcriptionists typically take 3 to 4 minutes to transcribe one minute of audio. As a newbie, it may take you as much as 8 minutes for that same minute. So, if you are new, you may find the rate works out quite low for you. But, as you get faster and more accurate, you’ll automatically earn more.
It is also important to note that some audio will be more difficult to transcribe than others. Some people may mumble or have a difficult to understand accent. Other files may have audio quality issues or have multiple people speaking. So, these issues can also slow you down.
WwW pays its transcribers via PayPal each month. There is no minimum threshold stated on the website or in the terms and conditions. So, you should be able to have your funds each month even if you only earned a small amount.
There are a number of similar platforms that offer flexible transcription work. However, your income will be limited with any of these platforms. If you want to increase your earning potential, working as a freelance transcriptionist could be a better option for you. The free mini course from Transcribe Anywhere will help you to get started.
Way With Words Reputation
While WwW has been around for almost 20 years, there are very few negative reviews and complaints. The company has a 3.9/5 rating on Glassdoor, which is a good indication that the reviews are genuine. After all, few companies are perfect.
There are lots of positive comments with transcribers praising the flexible schedule, helpful training, and work availability. Of course, there are some negative comments. This includes the low rate of pay, the lack of guaranteed work, and the potential to be removed from the platform. However, these are all common complaints across most freelancer or gig platforms.
Once you have done this, WwW will send you a temporary password via email. You can use this to log into the site and complete the application process.
There are no signup fees, but when you log in, you will be directed to take an assessment test. This is to determine your typing accuracy, understanding of the English language, listening abilities, and ability to meet deadlines. It will also evaluate your ability to follow proper formatting guidelines.
When you pass the tests, you’ll receive additional training to ensure that you can meet the WwW standards. This will involve doing actual transcription work, so you will get paid for your time.
Learn how to get started as a transcriptionist with this free 7-lesson course from Janet Shaughnessy of Transcribe Anywhere.
- Learn the two keys to success as a transcriptionist
- Use your existing typing skills
- Work part-time or full-time
- Work from home or anywhere with an internet connection
The Potential Drawbacks
No company is perfect, so you should be aware of potential drawbacks before you decide to sign up. The possible negatives of Way With Words include:
- No Guarantee of Work: As we touched on above, this is a common complaint across many freelancing or independent contractor platforms. Typically work is available to those who accept it first. So, if you are available to work, you may log in and find there are no projects for you. This can be frustrating, but you may get a feel for when there is usually plenty of work and arrange your schedule to make the most of this.
- Low Beginner Rates: As the maximum, you can earn is $1.73 per audio minute, which is a decent rate. If it takes you 8 minutes to transcribe 1 audio minute, this works out at $12.97 per hour. However, it is more likely that you will be at the lower rates. At $0.45 per audio minute, at the same speed, this works out at just $3.37 per hour. As you can experience and increase your speed, this rate will increase, but you will need to be prepared for lower pay initially.
- No Assessment Feedback: Another potential drawback is that there is no feedback from the assessment tests. You will simply be told if you passed or failed. This can be frustrating if you fail, as you will have no idea why.
Way With Words is certainly a legit platform offering work from home transcription jobs. Although the beginner rates may be low, you don’t need to worry about agreeing to a minimum number of hours per month or even having a specific type of software. These are common barriers to entry with many transcription platforms. The flexibility of WwW allows you to pick up transcription experience without needing to meet stringent platform requirements.
However, if you’re looking for a full-time income, it is not likely that WwW alone could provide this. Fortunately, the platform does not require exclusivity, so there is nothing stopping you from working with multiple platforms, including WwW. So, if you’re considering transcription, Way With Words could provide a great starting point.
If you want to significantly increase your income potential, offer transcription services on a freelance basis gives you a chance to earn much more money for your time. We recommend checking out the free course from Transcribe Anywhere to learn more about how to maximize your income and work from home.