Taking advantage of the things you already have can be a great way to make money. While there are plenty of different side hustle ideas that you can pursue, one of the fastest ways to make money is to sell some of your stuff.
But another alternative that allows you to make money from your stuff is to rent it out to others. Renting your possessions isn’t just a way to make some quick money, it can also become a regular side hustle that turns your things into income-generating assets. It can be a side hustle that doesn’t take much of your time to maintain.
If this sounds good, you may be wondering what you can rent. This article lists all of the best things you can rent to make extra money. Hopefully, it will provide you with some ideas that you can put into practice to start making money.
Why Renting Things Can Be a Great Side Hustle
Before we look at the different options that are available, first let’s talk about why it makes a lot of sense to rent your stuff. At first, you might think that you don’t want other people using your stuff. That’s one factor that you’ll need to consider, but the reasons listed below might be enough to convince you to give it a shot.
- (Somewhat) Passive Income. When you’re renting things out, you’ll be making money by leveraging assets that you already have (passive income), not by working more hours. You may need to put a little bit of time into the side hustle, but it’s not like you’re trading your time for money. This can be a great fit if you have a tight schedule and limited extra time for a side hustle.
- Make Money Outside of a Job. Whether you have a job and you’re looking for something extra, or you don’t have a job and you want to make money from home, this could be a good fit.
- Make Money from Things That Aren’t Being Used. By renting your stuff, you turn something that is not being used into an income producing asset.
- Offset the Cost of Your Items. Getting some money back by renting out an item is a great way to essentially offset the cost of buying it.
- Lots of Possibilities. As you’ll see throughout this article, there are loads of possibilities and all different kinds of things you can rent.
- Help Others. While it may not be your primary motivation for renting your stuff, you’ll also be helping others to save money since they won’t have to buy the item for themselves.
Things You Can Rent for Extra Money
Let’s take a look at some of the options. Of course, the items listed here are really only the beginning. Use your creativity and you may be able to find some other things in your home that you can rent out to others.
First, let’s start with some general options. There are a few websites that focus on product rentals and allow you to list just about anything. These websites exist for the purpose of matching you up with people who are interested in renting your stuff. You can create a listing for the things that you want to rent, take a photo, set your price, and you’ll be notified when someone wants to rent it.
- Fat Lama – One of the most popular websites for renting just about anything. The site claims that average lenders make $50 per week and top lenders make up to $3,000 per month.
- Loanables – Another general rental site where you can list things like appliances, musical instruments, furniture, and more.
- Rentah – List things like party supplies, tools, sporting goods, outdoor items, fashion, electronics, and more. You can also list some services like child care and entertainment.
The growth of Airbnb and other similar marketplaces has made it easier than ever to make money by renting out your home, a spare bedroom, or a unit in your home. Some people make money with short term rentals throughout the year, and others will rent out a room or their home when there are major events in their city/town. Either way, it can be a great way to make some extra money.
Of course, this option will be better for some people than others, depending on the setup of your home and property. Earlier this year, I interviewed Riley from Young and the Invested about the experience he and his wife have had renting a lock-off unit that is a part of their home (read it here: How to Make Money Renting Room with Airbnb).
While Airbnb has made short-term rentals more feasible, renting a room or unit to a long-term tenant is always an option too.
In the right situation, you can make a significant amount of money renting a room, a unit, or your home. Here are a few sites to consider:
Depending on where you live, you may be able to make money by renting your home at particular times of the year. Rent Like A Champion is a site that allows renters to find private homes near games, golf tournaments, races, and other big events. In the right location, you can make great money in a short period of time renting your home to one of the thousands of visitors who will be descending upon the area.
3. House or Space (for Events)
If you want to rent your home or space, you’re not limited to long-term tenants or short-term rentals for travelers. Another option is to allow you space to be rented for other purposes. Common uses include filming, photoshoots, parties, and other types of events.
- LocationsHub – You can list your home or property to be rented for filming productions. In order to create the listing, you’ll need to pay a fee starting at $4.95 per month. You’ll be able to set your price, and you’ll keep all of the money (no commission for LocationsHub). The amount you can make will vary, but it’s generally somewhere between $1,000 – $5,000 per day.
- SetScouter – You can list your home to be rented for the production of commercials, music videos, and branded content.
- Giggster – List your home or space to be rented for filming or to host a party or an event.
- Peerspace – List your space to be rented for filming or other events like weddings, parties, meetings, and more.
- Splacer – List your space to be rented for filming, productions, weddings, parties, networking events, and more.
- thisopenspace – List your space for photoshoots, events, meetings, and more.
4. Office Space
Do you have space that could be used as an office or meeting room? It could be a part of your home, or some other property that you own. The websites listed below can help you to make money by renting space for business purposes.
- LiquidSpace – Rent out some desks, a conference room, or an office.
- Desktime – Allows you to list your co-working space for others to rent.
- ShareDesk – Another site for listing your co-working or office space.
5. Parking Space
If you live in the right location, your parking space or driveway can be a valuable asset that others will pay to rent. Simply rent it out when you don’t need it for yourself and you can make some easy money on the side. There are several websites that allow you to list your parking space, including:
6. Storage Space
Maybe you don’t have a house that is ideal for things like short-term rentals or filming. And maybe you don’t live in an area where your parking spot would be in demand. But maybe you do have some extra space that could be used for storage.
The storage rental business is obviously very large, with self-storage locations all over the place. Did you know there are also several websites that make it easy for you to list your own space for peer-to-peer storage rentals? Here are several options:
- STOW IT – Specializes in vehicle storage. Rent your garage, barn, land, or empty spaces for cars, trailers, and RVs.
- Store At My House – Calls itself the Airbnb of self-storage.
- Neighbor – Peer-to-peer storage rentals.
7. Camping Space
Depending on your property and where you live, you may be able to rent out your land to campers. In the right situation, it can be a great way to make some extra money with little work required on your part.
- Campspace – List your land to be rented by campers. It can be rural or in a city, and only needs to be large enough to pitch a tent. If you have one, you can also rent out a cabin, yurt, or treehouse.
- Gamping – Another similar site that allows you to list your private land for camping.
8. Land for Farming/Gardening
Another way to rent out your land is to rent it for farming or gardening. This can be a great way to make some money from your land, again, with little effort on your part.
9. Your Space for Pets
There are also ways to make money by renting your space to be used by pets. Here are a few options:
- Rover – With the help or Rover, you can easily start your own doggy daycare and charge pet owners to watch their pet. In this case, you’re also providing a service in addition to allowing them to use your space. While this will be more work than many of the other options listed here, it also presents very good income potential. Read my interview with Lily about How to Become a Pet Sitter.
- Sniffspot – Rent out your land as a place for dog owners to play with their dog. Sniffspot says that some hosts are making $1,000 per month with this passive income idea.
Hobby to Pro is my online course that teaches you how to build a money-making blog around your hobby. It's the same approach that I've used to make more than $1 million with photography blogs. The course includes 90+ video lessons and you can get it for free when you start your own blog.
Peer-to-peer lending platforms make it possible for you to essentially rent out your money to others. While there is some risk involved, many peer-to-peer lenders have been very successful with generating a nice income from this investment. Two of the leading options are:
If you have a car that you are not using all the time, renting it out can be an excellent way to make extra money. Renters can choose to rent from you and save money (as compared to the leading rental companies) and you can make some easy money. This is a nice option because you can keep the car to yourself when you need it, and rent it out when you don’t. Cars are typically something that drains a budget, but this way you can make some money back.
- Getaround – Claims that the average owner makes more than $1,000 per month by renting their car.
- Turo – Another excellent option for renting out your car.
- Riders Share – Motorcycle rentals.
12. Advertising Space on Your Car
Want to make money from your car without actually renting it out to other drivers? How about allowing companies to rent your car as an advertisement? Some companies will pay to place a temporary ad or full wrap on your car. How much you can make with this approach will depend on where you’re driving and how much you’re driving, but the pay can be quite good.
Here are some sites to check out.
- Carvertise – Pays $100 – $200 per month, plus you may be able to park your car in high-visibility locations and get paid $30 per hour.
- Wrapify – Pay up to $400+ per month for a full wrap.
- Free Car Media – Pays up to $400 per month.
Do you have a pickup truck or work truck that you could rent out when you’re not using it? This can be a great way to make some extra cash. Here are two sites that allow you to list your truck for rental:
If you have an RV, renting it out can be very lucrative. This is a big market for RV rentals from campers and travelers and this can put a lot of extra money in your pocket. Rather than letting your RV sit around when it’s not being used, why not make some money from it.
There are several websites that allow you to list an RV for rental, including:
- RVshare – Earn $120 – $365 per day.
- Outdoorsy – Estimates $420 – $840 per rental.
- Campanda – Earn up to $45,000 per year.
- U Rent Me – List RVs, boats, ATVs, motorcycles, and more.
If you own a boat, chances are, it’s sitting around and not being used most of the time. Did you know that you could make some money by renting it out? Here are a few sites where you can list your boat for rent:
- Boatsetter – Powerboats and sailboats.
- GetMyBoat – All types of boat rentals, including jet skis, houseboats, paddleboards, and more.
- U Rent Me – Boat rentals, in addition to RVs, ATVs, and motorcycles.
Don’t have a car, truck, boat, or RV to rent? How about a bike? You can make money by simply renting your bicycle to others.
How about renting your clothes and/or accessories when you are not wearing or using them? Other people may be willing to pay to rent your clothes, rather than buying it for themselves. Here are two sites/apps that make it possible:
18. Baby Stuff
Have you ever traveled with a baby or toddler? If so, you know that you need to bring A LOT of stuff with you. BabyQuip is making it easier to travel with babies by allowing parents to rent baby equipment instead of bringing everything from home. If you have baby items, you could make extra money by renting them to people who are traveling to your area.
19. Photography Gear
Photography gear is expensive. In some cases, it makes more sense for photographers to rent specific items rather than buying. Maybe they will only need the item for a short time and buying it doesn’t make sense. Maybe they’re traveling and it’s easier to rent as opposed to bringing everything with them. Maybe they can’t afford to purchase the item right now. Or maybe they want to try something out before making a buying decision. These sites allow you to make money by renting your photography gear:
The last option we’ll look at is unique and is not really a possession like most of the other things on this list. You can rent your friendship and allow others to pay you to spend time with them.
It sounds a bit weird at first, but there are a lot of situations where it makes sense. Someone may be looking for a companion to go to the movies, a concert, a play, a game, or some other event. Or, the person could be looking for someone to go on a hike or just spend some time together.
RentAFriend.com is a website that allows you to create a profile so people in your local area who are looking for a friend can hire you. It’s completely non-sexual and legal, and some friends make great money by doing it. The website claims that some friends are making over $2,000 per week full-time. Of course, you don’t need to do it full-time.
What are you going to rent? Now that we’ve taken a look at many options, hopefully, you have a few ideas of things you could put to good use to make a little extra money without too much effort. All of the sites listed in this article can be useful for generating income, so pick the ones that seem like the best fit for you and get started.
READ NEXT: How to Start a Side Hustle