Vital Dollar may receive compensation from companies, products, and services covered on our site. For more details, please read about how we make money.
This article is sponsored by Webull. All opinions are my own.
Webull is an online broker that offers commission-free trading through its mobile app (available for iOS and Android). Although there are other apps offering free trades, like Robinhood, the two apps are very different and Webull has some unique features to offer, especially in the area of research.
Currently, Webull is offering a free stock when you sign up and deposit at least $100. To claim the free stock, open an account through this link.
Read on to learn more about the company and the app.
About the Company
The Webull app is owned by Webull Financial, LLC. The company was founded in 2017 (privately held) and the mobile app was launched in May of 2018. Webull is a registered broker-dealer with the SEC and a member of FINRA and Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC), which protects securities customers of its members up to $500,000 (including $250,000 for claims for cash). You can see more at FINRA’s BrokerCheck.
How Webull Works
There are no fees to open or maintain an account with Webull. There is also no minimum balance for regular trading (there is a $2,000 minimum balance for margin trading). You can trade stocks and ETFs, but Webull does not currently offer trading for options or cryptocurrency.
As was mentioned earlier, you can get a free stock when you signup and deposit $100 with Webull.
After you’ve signed up, it will typically take a few hours for your account to be approved and activated. Once it is approved you will be able to transfer money to Webull and start trading. Transfers can be done by ACH for free (requires a US bank account). You can also transfer money by wire, but there are some fees associated with that ($25 for domestic wires and $45 for international wires). Wire transfers can be done from US or international banks.
Once the money you have transferred is in your Webull account, you can begin trading. Webull offers free trades of 5,000 stocks and ETFs.
The Webull platform is available through the mobile app, and a beta version of a desktop app is also available (the desktop app is currently for trading only).
What Makes Webull Unique
Webull is, in some ways, like Robinhood. Both apps offer commission-free trades of stocks and ETFs, as well as the convenience of a mobile app. However, there are some significant differences between the two. While Robinhood is intentionally a fairly simple app, Webull offers more in the way of reporting and research. Webull offers news, real-time market data, and powerful analyisis tools for free. This includes real-time quotes, in-depth charts, analyst rating and the full financial calendar.
You may also benefit from the full extended hours trading (4:00 AM – 8:00 PM Eastern). Webull also offers 24/7 support.
How to Get a Free Stock
To get your free stock from Webull, all you need to do is sign up through this link and then deposit at least $100 into your account.
Is Webull Safe?
As was mentioned earlier, Webull is registered with the SEC and a member of FINRA and SIPC. The SIPC protects the securities of its members’ customers up to $500,000 (including $250,000 for claims for cash). Webull is also fully encrypted to protect user data.
Pros and Cons
Like any other app or platform, Webull comes with some pros and cons. Let’s take a look.
- Commission-free trades of thousands of stocks and ETFs. Although it’s not the only broker offering free trades, Webull does have an advantage over many of its competitors in this area.
- Free to set up and no minimum balance. When you combine this with the free trades, Webull is very attractive, especially for beginner investors who may not be dealing with large sums of money.
- Advanced reporting and tools. This is probably the feature that is most significant in differentiating between Webull and Robinhood. Investors will love the access to data that is available in the Webull mobile app. This data can go a long way in helping you to invest more effectively.
- Ease of use. Even with advanced tools, Webull is still fairly easy to use. There is not a long learning curve and you will be able to use the app effectively almost immediately.
- Possibility to get a free stock. Get a free stock when you sign up and deposit at least $100 within 30 days.
- Limited desktop version. While the reports and tools available in Webull are great, personally, I would prefer to be able to access them on a desktop. As of now, the desktop app is only for trading and is a beta version. However, they are working on this and improving the desktop app.
- No retirement accounts are available. All of your activity with Webull will be with taxable accounts as there is no option for IRAs or other retirement accounts.
- No option for joint accounts. All accounts with Webull (currently) are individual accounts without the option to create a joint account.
Is Webull Worth My Time?
Overall, Webull is an excellent app. The commission-free trades, free sign up, and no minimum balance cannot be beaten. The advanced reporting and analysis tools are also better than what you will find from many competitors. Webull is a great choice for anyone who wants to be able to trade stocks or ETFs from a mobile phone.